Sunday, November 05, 2006

K.O. KO's Hman



So, I’m sure most of us have now heard the news--at the end of the month, Mark Hyman is apparently going to where all public figures go to die: to “spend more time with his family” and work on “special projects.”

I won’t really believe this until he actually signs off and doesn’t show up the next night. I’m reminded of my father’s comment when he heard that Richard Nixon had finally died: “I won’t believe he’s dead until they pry open his coffin and hammer a stake through that S.O.B.’s heart.”

There were a number of comments a few posts ago on this topic, complete with links to the Sinclair press release about Hyman’s departure, as well as a couple of news articles.

As I mentioned in my response to those comments, my personal fantasy is that this is linked to the sudden disappearance of Hyman’s slanderous commentaries on George Soros from the Newscentral.tv website a couple of weeks ago. In my dream, Soros calls up David Smith, CEO of Sinclair, and says, “Either you get that dolt off the air, or I’ll sue your asses for so much money that you’ll be lucky to get a Baltimore cable-access show going.”

At any rate, it looks like we won’t have Hyman to kick around anymore (another Tricky Dick reference for ya).

But it’s nice to see that some people are putting a last few steel-toed Kodiak work boots in his midriff before he disappears. If you haven’t seen it, go over to MSNBC and see the inimitable
Keith Olbermann lambaste our Mark as “the Worst Person in the World” last Friday. On Hyman’s stated reason for leaving, being “exhausted,” Olbermann says, “Of course you are: it’s hard work carrying that much guilt around!”

We’ll continue to tap dance on Hyman’s head before we change our venue to his grave. After that, I’ll likely take a brief hiatus before returning to blog another day. I’ll probably return to the original idea I had before starting The Counterpoint, which was to do a regular critique of various notable mediocrities in public discourse. The problem was that I had a hard time finding anyone who could beat out Mark Hyman for that title, day-in and day-out; hence, the Hyman-centric blogging of the last couple of years (jeesh—has it really been that long?).

I’ll keep you posted as things develop, and if anyone else has news on the causes and details of our impending collective Hyman-ectomy, please share with the class!

tjr

2 Comments:

At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ted,

What kind of creature will SBG cook up to replace Herr Hyman?

Is Tom Delay looking for a new job?

(or his Tom's Dead-Bug business still going?)

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Ted Remington said...

Good question. They seem to be going through a rethinking of their whole news thing. Whatever they choose to do, they can't do much worse than what they've got.

As for DeLay, I think staying out of jail is as much as he can hope for now, although with any luck there will be several out of work GOP Congressional representatives after this election.

tjr

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.